Sunday, March 15, 2009
Whew...We made it, but not without great adventure!
I need to you to forgive me right off the bat. European keyboards are unique so this may end up with some type oès. So we had a great departure in Houston. On time and everyone in seats near friends. Nice dinner and a little shut eye for some, movies for others. Then we had a little shock to the system in London, but not due to kids. Four adults that shall remain nameless, almost missed the plane. it was like a great scene in a movie where people are running and shouting "hold that plane!" except in this movie scene there were two angry art teachers standing there yelling and scowling. So very glad we packed our patience. As MHS is a beautifully eclectic blend of cultures, this means we have a wide variety of passports. Let's just cut right to it and say that one of your darlings didn't make it through customs in Paris. Satterwhite and I spent some time gravelling in a closed room with border agents after they declared "no Visa, no entry!" I asked "what happens now? How does this work?" and the same charming (not really...broom hilda is more like it) girl with zero sympathy on her face says "he goes home." Then one saviour yelled out "non! groupa!" They speak for a minute in French and then the same charming gal says in her most broken English "do you have money?" While I am processing "oh my goodness this is a bribe situation," Satterwhite, without hesitation says "how much" and she says "60euros" to which we both shout "yes. We have it!" So she says 60 € for temporary visa and its done. We walk out and through customs and are met by a cheering crowd of MHS kids and adults that were all sweating bullets with us. Thank goodness. This was a lot like the movies as well so Satterwhite and I are quitting to become actresses. I am sure after today, we are destined for the oscars. An hour later and some decent drama and Bon Jour Paris!!! Our hotel is nice. very Americanized, roomy and clean. The kids and adults are showering after a lovely meal and harried first trip through the metro then off to slumber. We are off to theLouvre tomorrow and then Montemarte, Dinner and then Siene river cruise. We will make phone cards and calling a priority as well but today we just flat ran out of time and steam so I do hope you are checking the blog. I have made friends with the cute girl at the front desk and offered her a tip for blogging. Please check this each day. She will let me use the computer again on Tuesday. The weather is spectacular...wish you all could be here with us. Bonsoir! Mme Savage
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I am very proud of the tenacity of Mmes.Savage, et. al., in dealing with the 1st crisis of the trip. (Hopefully it will be the last one.) Just remember to breathe and enjoy the sites so you can tell us all about it when you get home. Karen Soester (Gillian Howell's aunt)
I cannot wait to hear about your adventures at the Louvre, at Montmartre, and on the Seine! I've taken a Seine river tour in the evening; it was wonderful! Hope all goes more smoothly today. :)
Thank you so much for taking the time (that I know you did not have)to update us. I know EVERYTHING is under control and no worries. Just keep pulling those white rabbits out when you need them!!! LOL. Have a wonderful time and we look forward to more news. Tell Lauren to make a call out on her phone and it should activate it.
Love to all!!!Lisa Welch (Lauren's mom) XOXOXO
Très bon ! Tu est un guide d'excursion magnifique et une actrice merveilleux! Maintenez le bon travail !
Ok that's about all the high school french I can handle dredging up. My head hurts.
Have fun at all the exciting places everyone wants to see but not everyone gets to!
Wow....wish I could have seen you talking to the customs people. Who'd a thought??? Can't wait to hear about all your adventures today. The weather here has turned fabulous (finally), but I'd trade it for what all y'all are seeing in a heartbeat! take care and thanks for blogging for us. Peggy Howell (Gilli's Mom)
Rebecca Nivers said.....What would a trip with teenagers and grannies be without the excitement of the customs agents, lol! These little hiccups are the things that stay in our memories and make our lives adventurous....enjoy.........
Post a Comment