Sunday, February 24, 2008

Palais Garnier- Phantom Of The Opera



Hello Everyone! Bonjour!

I am a huge Phantom of the Opera fan, and I thought that the Palais Garnier Opera House might be an interesting place to visit on one of our free days.

Its is about 4 euros to tour it freely between performances.
Some creepy history... In 1896, one of the counter-weights for the chandelier fell, killing one. This, as well as the underground lake and other elements of the Opera House, inspired Gaston Leroux to write his classic Gothic novel, The Phantom of the Opera.

Exciting stuff as well as this lovely ceiling painted by Marc Chagall.

Au Revior!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We'll see if we can work in a tour. Thanks for the pictures and great idea! Mrs. Satterwhite rules!

SylviaG said...

It's definitely a must see! I can always bore you with my pics. Sounds like a wonderful trip. We do have some great books on Paris in the MHS library.